The Air Cadet League
National Effective Speaking 2018
- To provide an opportunity for Air Cadets to increase their self-confidence; and increase their ability to reason, organize and express ideas;
- To promote the citizenship component of local squadron training;
- To provide a focus at the Local, Regional/Wing, Provincial/Territorial, and National levels, to promote and encourage Air Cadets to participate in an optional activity that will provide them with an opportunity to acquire effective speaking skills through instruction and practice in a structured and competitive environment;
- To increase public awareness regarding the citizenship and leadership aspects of the Air Cadet program at the national, provincial and local levels.
In the Air Cadet program, we use words such as leadership, teamwork, self-discipline, self-confidence, good citizenship. Cadets who participate in the effective speaking program will learn all of these things. The skills they learn here will help them immeasurably in other areas of their life as well, whether they are making class presentations in secondary school, or later, interviewing for admission to professional faculties at universities, making presentations to colleagues at work, leading volunteer organizations, running for public office.
The competitions will be held in four levels: the Squadron level, Regional level, Provincial level, and the National level. It is important to present a program at the squadron level that accomplishes the aims of the program and also prepares the Cadets for the competitions.
First and second place winners of the Squadron Effective Speaking Competition will proceed to the Regional Effective Speaking Competition in April 2018. From there, the top three cadets will move on to participate in the Provincial Effective Speaking Competition on April 2018. The Provincial winner will participate in the National Effective Speaking Competition in June 2018.
The 778 banshee Squadron Effective Speaking Competition date and location to be Announced.
The competition consists of two parts:
- a 5-6 minute prepared speech, from this year’s National Competition list of topics; and
- a 2-3 minute impromptu speech, on a topic given to them three minutes before delivery.
Here are this year’s prepared speech topics:
- Here are the topics for 2018:
- The importance of today’s youth in building Canada’s future.
- How does volunteerism play a role in the life of your community or squadron?
- Humour is the best medicine.
- How space exploration can lead to scientific advances on Earth.
- The role Indigenous people have played in Canada’s heritage.
- How has Canada changed the face of aviation?
- Lest We Forget.
- Cadet’s Choice: The Cadet’s Choice must fit into one of these categories: Cadet Life, Science and Technology, Aviation, Canadian History or Citizenship.
17 November 2017 – 1900 hrs at O.M. Mackillop PS, 206 Lukas St. Richmond Hill.
Topic Sign up:
Sign up closed.
Parents and friends are welcome to come and watch the competition. The Squadron Sponsoring Committee and Staff would like to wish all cadets who are participating in this competition the best of luck, and should you have any question please do not hesitate to contact CI Mercado (firstname.lastname@example.org)